Help! I need a pram or pushchair but I don’t know where to begin...
With so many prams, pushchairs, strollers, buggies and travel systems on the market, it might all seem a bit daunting at first, but there are endless options to suit every budget.
When choosing the right pram for you and your baby, there are lots of factors to take into account, so naturally it can be a bit confusing.
Are you the sort of parents who'll be hopping on and off the bus or tube a lot, or doing most of your travelling by car, or do you plan to head to the countryside at the weekends and spend lots of time outdoors? Your pram or pushchair needs to suit your everyday lifestyle and accommodate both yours and your baby’s needs.
Some parents will be thinking about storage space; where will be store it? Will it fold down to fit in the boot of our car, be easy to maneuver up and down our stairs; these are all things to consider before you make that important purchase. If you're lucky to have more than one child, there is the consideration of tandem and double pushchairs and if needed, triple pushchairs!
Below are pram and pushchair different options and their features, to give you an idea of what may suit your family best.
Prams and Pushchairs
Newer prams and puschairs are suitable for newborn babies and often have a seat that can face either towards or away from you. Many of these pram models have handy features such as swivel wheels or enclosed carry cots, and fold up so that they can go in and out of the car boot, making life that little bit easier and ensuring your attention is with your baby. They are very versatile. Prams typically have a lie-flat position suitable for newborns, whilst pushchairs have a reclining, forward-facing seat more suitable for toddlers.
Prams and pushchair features may include:
- Different lie-back positions
- Bumper bars
- Reversible seat units, allowing for both forward and rear facing options
- Foldable & compact for easy transportation (may stand up unaided when folded)
- fixed or lockable swivel wheels
- Shopping tray or other additional storage space
- Will stand up unaided when folded
- 3 or 4 wheel options - depending on your needs
Double and Tandem Prams & Pushchairs
If you are lucky enough to have more than one child, double or tandem pushchairs could be a great and useful option. Tandem prams or pushchairs are where the children sit side by side and are suitable for children of similar age. Double pushchairs usually have one fully reclining seat suitable for newborns, whilst the other seat would be forward facing suitable for toddlers.
Perhaps you would like more than one child but aren’t 100% sure at the moment, don’t worry, it is also possible to buy a tandem buggy with only one seat (if this is your first baby), with the option to buy the second seat if and when you have another child; perfect!
Tandem features may include:
- Rear seat reclines fully flat for a newborn baby
- Forward facing tandem seats with individual adjustment
- Suitable for two children of different ages
Double features may include:
- Side by side seats with individual adjustment
- Sturdy design and stable to push
Complete Travel Systems
Complete travel systems, otherwise known as an infant carrier (care seat) and pram all in one. This way they can be used from birth with both the car seat attached to the pushchair base, or as a carrycot pram. If you'll be regularly switching your little one between car and pram, a travel system functionality will allow you to transport your baby from your home to your car, and to your pram without waking them from their sleep. Do be aware however it is advised that babies shouldn't be left in their infant carrier for more than 2 hours. Travel systems can be pricier than buying a pushchair or pram on its own, but at least you won't be buying a separate car seat.
Complete travel systems features may include:
- A pushchair and infant carrier. The infant carrier detaches from the pushchair to be used in the car as well
- Reversible seat unit; both forward and rear facing options
- Frames with suspension or air tyres
- Some travel systems also include a carry cot that transforms the pushchair into a pram with a lie flat position
David writes about the changing world of how classic brands continue to offer the same range of successful products decade after decade and survive the ever changing storm in one of the world's most competitive and fad-focused consumer markets.