If you are a follower of my blogs, then probably you would have the idea that I am considering to quit from my job and leave a career behind. One of the most important consideration that I have is staying with my family for good. Well, I didn't really leave them that long. I was working abroad for about 6 years now and would fly back home at least twice a year. There are also situations wherein I would come home thrice a year when there is a necessity for me to be there. Thanks to the growing airline companies offering cheap airfares, traveling has never been this easy. :)
For many years that I've been working both in the Philippines and abroad, I've learned a lot of things not only about my job but also about dealing with people and bosses. I would say that my years of experience had brought me into great heights but on the side, I also had a lot of painful experiences. I guess, there's really a truth to the saying that, "you can't have the best of both worlds". Working on your career is not an easy thing to do, it entails a lot of discipline and determination but most of all, it takes a lot of patience and a great sense of maturity to handle those things coming your way. Being in a corporate world, I've learned that life is indeed tough. The competition is very stiff and everyone will do his best to be on the top. Along the line, you would encounter a lot of people with different attitudes, different personalities and different aspirations. You will either grow up with them or fall down with them, depending on the case. Remember that so-called "crab mentality"? It's true in many aspects and its quite difficult to get away with it. I've met a few people who are advocates of "crab mentality" and are great fans of pessimism. People who would never see the good things and will always do their best to find mistakes in others. Sometimes, I am telling myself, "Is life now really this tough? that people need to do such acts just to stay in their jobs?" Probably yes...
photo source: http://makeyourbizbig.com
For those who are still enjoying their corporate jobs, here are some tips to stay where you are:
- Remain humble and kind. Do not try to empower others just to shine. If you really possess that inner talents and you are doing the right job, people will see that.
- Remain calm at all times, arguing with unreasonable people is such a waste of time. Believe me, you will never win the argument dealing with these kind of people as they do not know how to accept mistakes.
- Remain respectful of your Boss, your colleagues and your staff. Do not put the "guilt" in yourself but rather put the "guilt" on them. At the end of the day, you will be proud to say that you act more professionally than them. If confronted with a situation, you may voice out your thoughts and opinions but try to do it in a subtle manner. This way, you will earn the respect of others.
- Stay away from people who are full of negativity. You will not learn anything from them. They will make you feeling down and discontented rather than uplifting your morale and spirit.
- Be friendly at all times, but learn to be independent. Remember, not all the faces you'll see are genuine, some have hidden agenda and you have to be aware of that.
- Continue to nurture your craft. Do not rely on others to improve yourself. We are now on the verge of the technology where everything can be researched online. If you keep on relying to others, they may take that gesture differently and use that against you.
- Do not waste your time on nonsense things. Learning is a never ending process. Even your Boss has still a lot to learn. So devote your time to learning new things. Do not be contented with what you currently know.
- Be a team player. Show to everyone that you are willing to cooperate to achieve the company's objectives.
- Be observant, make suggestions when necessary and do not be afraid to leave feedback and comments. Your Boss will appreciate you for that.
- Best of all, be yourself. Avoid making pretensions. Do not mind about what other people will think of you. We cannot please everybody no matter how much we try.
Here are only few of the long list of things that I gathered from my long years of working, I hope that you were able to get some ideas. I am hoping to give you more of my life's experiences on my future posts.
Have a great week ahead! :)